- Articulate your emotions using the right language
- Keep your balance under pressure and control on your emotions
- Achieve greater personal and professional success
- Deal with negative emotions and difficult behavior
- Applying emotional intelligence to potential conflict situations
Course Outline (Day 1)
Introductions & Icebreaker
- Define Emotional Intelligence (EQ).
- Identify the benefits of emotional intelligence for managers.
- Explain the four core skills required to practice emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrate self-management, self-awareness, self-motivation and empathy.
- Effectively communicate with team members non-verbally.
- Interpret key emotions.
- Explain how to regulate one’s own emotions.
- Recognise that mood congruent thought influences decision making.
- Relate emotional intelligence to the workplace as a manager.
Activity: Questioning Explore importance of EQ in the workplace
- Benefits of EI
- Understand the difference between Trait EI and Ability EI 5 Dimensions of Trait EI Model
- Self Awareness (SA) Managing Emotions (ME) Motivation (M) Empathy (E)
- Social Skills (SS) Determine your EQ
Activity: EQ Self assessment and review
Group Activity: Table teams – EQ self assessment activity and facilitator led debrief
Video – How are the actors using EQ (or not) in the workplace?
Group discussion and report out led by facilitator
Lunch & Prayer Break
Exploring the Dimensions of EQ:
Dimension 1: Self awareness (SA)
- Seeing the other side
- Giving in without giving up Life Positions –only you can choose your mindset
Activity: Pair work, role playing different sides of a conflict
Debrief and group discussion led by facilitator
Dimension 2: Self-Regulation/Managing Emotions (ME)
- The ‘EQ brain’ and how it works
- The science of emotions
- Understanding Emotions
- Find your self-control… take back your Amygdala
- Using coping thoughts
- Using relaxation techniques
Activity: Self-assessment #2 – Coping mechanisms
Activity: Group work in table teams. Case study.
Activity: Individually – practice coping and relaxation techniques.
Wrap-Up and Plan for Day 2 Training
Course Outline (Day 2)
Icebreaker and Review Day 1
- Review together objectives covered in Day 1 and upcoming day’s objectives.
Managing with Emotional Intelligence
- What does Emotional Intelligence have to do with managing?
- The high EQ manager: case studies on effectiveness
- Using self-awareness to engage with staff and colleagues
Activity: Group work – role play
Dimension 3: Self-Motivation (M)
- Self Motivation
- Motivating others using your EQ
- The balance between optimism and pessimism
- The power of re-framing
- Teaching staff to re-frame and setting the example: the Optimistic Manager
Activity: Individual reflection on motivation – write in reflection journal
Activity: Group activity on Optimists v. Pessimists with facilitator debrief on likely outcomes of perspectives.
Activity: Pair work. Choose a difficult work scenario. How will re-framing most likely influence outcomes? Facilitator led group report out.
Dimension 4: Empathy (E)
- Barriers to empathy
- Developing your empathy
- Empathy and your staff: connecting with employees
Activity: Case Study. Analyze role of empathy in table teams.
Activity: Group work. What is an empathetic manager? Why connect with employees who are experiencing difficulties?
Activity: Self-reflection. What relationships are in need of empathy? Write in journal.
Lunch & Prayer Break
Four Skills in Emotional Intelligence
- How to accurately perceive emotions
- Employing emotions to facilitate thinking
- Interpret emotional meanings
- Manage emotions
Managing with Emotional Intelligence
- How do high EQ managers use the Four Skills in motivating and managing? In conducting productive meetings and other communications?
Activity: Video clips. What emotions are being expressed? How are you interpreting them?
Activity: Role play in table teams, everyone different character. Employ emotions to come to decision and manage emotions in face of difficult conversation. Facilitator debrief. Can be communicated as “fishbowl” activity.
Verbal Communication Skills
- Focused listening
- Asking questions
- Communicating with flexibility and authenticity
Activity: Pair work in focused listening and questioning.
Activity: Small group work using scenarios to practice communications skills.
Team Building and EQ I
Creating high EQ teams that unleash their collective potential energy through positive energy
Using EQ, how to:
- Generate powerful and productive team synergy
Activity: Individual. Participants rate their own work teams’ productive synergy.
Activity: Group work using challenging scenario. Collectively, what are your table team’s EQ strengths?
Shortcomings? How will you leverage your strengths to solve the scenario?
Team Building and EQ II
- Maximizing morale and resisting stress
- Uniting the team for organizational strength
Activity: Individual reflection. What morale issues do you face at work as a manager? How will you tackle these upon your return with your new EQ techniques and tools?
Activity: Table teams. Fun cumulative activity to tie in EQ skills to maximize team morale and resist stress in the workplace.
Who Should Attend
Professional Trainer, Certified Coach, and Award Winning Speaker
Wessam is an experienced trainer, certified coach and an award winning speaker. She specializes in management and “soft” skills training and has been providing tailor made Arabic and English training workshops through training providers and direct to customers at all levels, whether as in-house or as public workshops for the following Categories:
- Leadership development & Supervisory skills
- Training The Trainer
- Public Speaking & presentation skills
- Customer Service Excellence
- Self-Development & Communication Skills
- Entrepreneurship skills and SME Marketing
- Women Empowerment Skills
- Coaching skills
- Online and internet marketing
She holds an MA in economics and a double bachelor degree in business administration and economics from the American University in Cairo, with highest honor. She is Middle East number 1 Certified Guerrilla Marketing Coach and a certified coach in brain-based coaching with Results Coaching – Australia.
After 15 years of corporate experience at senior positions, Wessam decided to venture on her own. In a matter of 18 months, she launched a thriving training practice in Dubai, while raising her 2 kids. A big part of her mission is to help entrepreneurial women build a lifestyle business around their talents and replicate her own success.
Wessam is an Associate Trainer with GTC – London & Dubai – where she successfully delivered multitude of trainings to clients across the MENA Region and Africa. She is a certified trainer with City & Guild – UK, with experience delivering leadership trainings to novice, mid-level and seasoned leaders.
She received multiple BEST Speaker Award from Toastmasters International and is frequently sought after to speak in conferences, summits and forums in the Middle East on leadership, entrepreneurship and women topics. A highly entertaining presenter, Wessam delights her audiences with a unique blend of education and wisdom, honesty and humour, and complete generosity of self and spirit.
She is the co-creator of the Women Entrepreneurs Success Secrets Telesummit, a unique event featuring 10 of the most thought-after global women entrepreneurs sharing their success secrets for the first time in the Middle East.
Wessam is a voracious learner who attended dozens of seminars and read 100s of business and self-development books. Wessam speaks, trains and coaches in both English and Arabic.
Easy way of transferring knowledge makes the learning more digestible. Excel is so wonderful with this kind of delivery. Great work Simfotix.Human Resource Business Partner Human Resource Business Partner, Al Ghurair Group
Excellent Training conducted by Simfoix Professional Development. The whole day was full of fun and learning in Advance MS Excel.Senior Specialist Human Resource Senior Specialist Human Resource, Dubai Economic Department
A combination of learning and sharing through small quiz and activities. The course is truly a learning experience.Treasury & Investment Group Treasury & Investment Group, Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank
The in-house training met the desired objectives for improvement in the Finance function. Group work throughout the two days and team presentation on various analytics put thing in the focus learning direction. Good output Simfotix.Finance Team Imdaad Group Finance Team Imdaad Group