THE "MASTERING STRATEGIC THINKING” WORK-OUT
This two-day intensive Work-Out in Cunning Strategic Thinking and Planning gives you the structure, the tools and the process to develop a truly exciting and do-able Plan and to deliver it too. Whilst theoretically grounded it is eminently practical. It has come out of nearly thirty years of continued evolution and testing in real life businesses.
Although Strategy Management has been kicking around for around fifty years, it still suffers from many defects:
- It isn’t truly integrated: it has isolated elements like Vision, Goals, Financials, Action Plans –without true glue.
- It is often not really evidence based and lacks market and competitive insight.
- It frequently relies just on a couple of tools like SWOT and PEST and omits crucial ingredients like Strategic Gap Analysis, Competitive Dynamics and Economic Value and Uncertainty Analysis.
- It fails to deal with implementation difficulty and takes stakeholder buy-in as more or less as a given.
- The decisions and plans are at best, average and are not really truly “cunning” at all.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Senior managers involved in either Strategy Development or Implementation or both. Senior Professionals who have departmental or business responsibility for Finance, Planning, Marketing, Supply Chain, Operations and Business Development.
COURSE OUTLINE (DAY ONE: Strategic Thinking and the Cunning Plan)
- Introduction, Objectives & Expectations
- Strategy and “Helicopter Thinking”
- Strategy as the “Cunning Plan”
- Inside the strategy process? Breaking this down into e.g. diagnosis, optiongeneration, evaluation, planning, implementation etc: demystifying some of the key concepts
- Generating strategic options: case study Virgin Galactic (budget space travel)
- Evaluating these with the Strategic Option Grid
- Case study: Breakthrough thinking in the retailbanking industry - Metrobank.
- Challenging the sixth competitive force: the industry mind set
- Analysis of Metrobank against one of its peers
- Testing the strategy: exploring how either Metrobank can develop further or how a competitor might respond
- Introducing scenario story telling techniques in the context of retail banking
- Evolving innovative options and evaluating these for a competitor using the “Deep Dive techniques for strategic attractiveness” financial attractiveness-to refine plans
- Using the “Deep Dive techniques for implementation difficulty, uncertainty and risk and stakeholder acceptability” -to refine plans
- Key Learning from Day 1
COURSE OUTLINE (DAY TWO: Strategic Planning and Implementation)
- Review of Day One and the Cunning Checklists
- Input on Strategic Gap Analysis, Breakthroughs and the Strategic Planning Process
- Work on establishing current position for one of your own businesses: the environment (including competitive pressure), attractiveness and competitive positioning
- Generating Strategic options for your business
- Evaluation of Strategic options using the Strategic Option Grid –and with the “GE” General Electric Grid
- Evolving the cunning plan for one or more of your strategic options
- Dealing with implementation and change hurdles
- More on managing stakeholder dynamics: “Cunning Influencing”
- Using the “Mini Strategy Process” for a more micro strategic problem
- Distilling the Strategic Lessons from the Work Out
- Action Planning, handover of learning reinforcement materials
Excellent Training conducted by Simfoix Professional Development. The whole day was full of fun and learning in Advance MS Excel.Senior Specialist Human Resource Senior Specialist Human Resource, Dubai Economic Department
Learned a lot of new techniques and formulas in Advance MS Excel. Wonderful experience with Simfotix group.Senior Accountant Senior Accountant, Financial Control Department, Finance House Abu Dhabi
A combination of learning and sharing through small quiz and activities. The course is truly a learning experience. Excel has never been so exciting before.Treasury & Investment Group Treasury & Investment Group, Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank
The training is well organized and I have learned lot of new things.GM Finance GM Finance, Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems